The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) office at the Australian Consulate-General in Dubai manages visa and citizenship services for residents of Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
For information on topics not featured on this site, please visit our main website: www.border.gov.au
1. Temporary activity visa framework changes
On 19 November 2016 Australia introduced reforms to the temporary activity visa framework.
The following visas are now closed to new applications:
- Subclass 401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa
- Subclass 402 Training and Research visa
- Subclass 416 Special Program visa
- Subclass 420 Temporary Work (Entertainment) visa
- Subclass 488 Superyacht Crew visa.
Note: new applications for any of the above visas lodged on or after 19 November 2016, including applications that were sent prior to 19 November but received by the DIBP office at the Australian Consulate-General Dubai on or after 19 November 2016, will be considered invalid and returned to the applicant together with payment of the visa application charge.
Four new visa subclasses have been introduced:
- Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa
- Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa
- Subclass 407 Training visa
- Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa.
The new framework is designed to make applying for a temporary activity visa easier. For more information see: Temporary activity visa framework changes
2. Australia's simplified student visa framework
On 1 July 2016 Australia introduced a simplified student visa framework.
Under the new student visa framework:
- International students will apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500) regardless of their chosen course of study;
- Student guardians will apply for the new Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)
- All international students and student guardians will be required to apply for their visa online using ImmiAccount
For more information see: Simplified student visa framework
Note: paper student visa applications lodged on or after 1 July 2016, will be considered invalid and returned to the applicant together with payment of the student visa application charge.
3. Online Services
ImmiAccount is the 'front door' to our online services. After creating an ImmiAccount you can:
- apply for a visa or citizenship
- update your passport details
- update your contact details
VEVO is a free online service that allows visa holders to check the details and entitlements of their visa. You can also use VEVO to print a copy of your visa details to take with you when you travel, or email your visa details.
Visa holders may also download our free myVEVO app which allows you to view and email your visa details via an Android or iOS mobile device.
4. Australian Visa Application Centres in the Gulf region
We have a service delivery partner - VFS Global - for the provision of visa lodgement services throughout nine Australian Visa Application Centres (AVACs) in the Gulf region.
AVACs offer visa application lodgement services such as:
- biometrics collection
- application fee payment
- application tracking
- responses to general application enquiries
Applicants can lodge an Australian visa application in person at any one of the Australian visa application centres currently located in the United Arab Emirates » Saudi Arabia » Kuwait » Bahrain » Qatar and Oman
Australian visa application centres have extended client service hours. You do not need to make an appointment, however during peak travel periods scheduling an appointment online is recommended.
5. Hoax alert
The DIBP is aware of an online hoax claiming a visa-free option for nationals from Oman will be available from January 2017. This is a hoax. Australia has a universal visa programme, which means all non-citizens entering Australia must hold a valid Australian visa.
Australian visa options
There are a number of visa options available for people who want to visit, work, study or live in Australia. To see which Australian visa might suit you, use our Visa Finder
For information about the different visa categories, use the following links:
- Visiting Australia - note: passport holders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman or the United Arab Emirates are eligible to apply online for a Visitor visa (subclass e600)
- Studying in Australia
- Working in Australia
- Returning Residents
- Skilled Migration
- Family Migration
Lodging your visa application
Watch a short online video about applying for a visa to come to Australia
► Apply online
Eligible applicants should apply online by creating an ImmiAccount
► Apply at an Australian Visa Application Centre
To see which Australian visa applications can be lodged at an Australian visa application centre, refer to Visa Types
To avoid processing delays, all documents and information to support your visa application must be submitted together at the time of application lodgement – see our information to help you prepare your application. You can expect your visa application to take longer to process if you have not provided all the required documentation when you apply.
Application processing times
The processing time for your application will depend on the visa or citizenship category you have chosen. For a detailed list of processing times, see our global visa and citizenship processing times
Processing times will be updated monthly and will be available for most visa and citizenship application types.
► Applying for Australian citizenship
See our step-by-step guide about how to apply for Australian citizenship
Applications for citizenship by descent can be lodged at any of the Australian visa application centres in the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman or Qatar.
If you have lost, damaged or had your Australian citizenship certificate stolen, use our online guide to apply for proof of your Australian citizenship
Applications for Australian citizenship general eligibility and other situations, and applications to resume or renounce Australian citizenship should be lodged at our Canberra office in the Australian Capital Territory.
Contacting the visa and citizenship section:
Visa and citizenship application enquiries are managed by our service delivery partner VFS Global:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +971 4 2055900 (09:00 – 17:00 UAE local time, Sunday to Thursday – see the VFS Global website for Ramadan business hours).
We value your feedback